Sunday, March 6, 2011

SSSSSSnakes!

Oh. my. goodness.

I'm not one easily spooked by snakes. I grew up in the woods. Seriously. Ya know those stories your grandparents tell you starting off with "When I was your age, we had to walk a mile down a dirt road to get the bus..."? That will be me one day. No lie. Though a lot of the times we (we= me and my older brother Blake) would just cut through the woods and it would shorten the hike to about 3/4 of a mile instead.

Where was I?

Oh. Snakes. So I've seen my share. Black racers, grass snakes, rat snakes, water moccasins, rattle snakes... I've even *GASP* eaten snake. Yes, you heard me. (Tastes like chicken). I'm from the country, okay!  So, I'm not overly phased by a snake if I see one. Unless I hear a rattle or it's striking at me. I do feel unsure though, because I never took the time to learn how to tell the poisonous ones from harmless ones (important, I know).


(This is the trench my strapping hubby filled in with dirt)

Bailey's birthday party is next Saturday and we went to my moms to help them clean up the yard and start the garden for the spring (I planted potatoes, with Irvin, big belly and all). The kids spent the night with them Friday night. So, right after Jeffrey and I get there we walk out to the garden where everyone was and Bailey comes up and says the following:

(Mom and Bailey planting some sort of vegetation, prior to this dialogue)

B: Mommy, I found a snake in the garden it was THIS big! {here she indicates a size that is obviously exaggerated} But I didn't touch it I went and got Poppi and he KILLED it with his axe (which was really a garden hoe).

Me: {Internally freaking out!} Oh you did? {to the side: Mom, seriously? she found a snake? MOM: OH. Yeah....}

 To Bailey: Good job honey! NEVER touch a snake! Always go get an adult. I'm SO proud of you for not trying to touch it.

Turns out it was a flippin' water moccasin! His life was taken briskly... but don't worry, he got a proper burial. I guess snakes bug me more than I realized... when it comes to my babies anyway!

BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE.

That afternoon after lunch, my baby brother Chad's girlfriend Katie was leaving and informed us that there was a small snake that hit her ankle and then went under the car.  (REALLY? ANOTHER ONE?) So she backs her car up so we can see what it was and Chad traps it's tail with a 2x4. That sucker was charging him! He was a viscous little beast... MAYBE 12" long tops.

This is said Pygmy snake charging anyone who got to close. It's a lot of bark for such a small bloak, I think. But I guess he has a bite that can back it up. 

 So we called Irvin over and he was trying to decide what it was. It looked like a Pygmy Rattle Snake, except that it wasn't brown, it was gray. The eyes were oblong which apparently is an indicator for a poisonous snake... good to know. By the way, apparently Pygmy's are one of the most poisonous snakes around. Don't quote me on that, I'm gullible, and that's just what Chad told me.

This little dude lost his life briskly too. I think with the garden hoe, as well. Who knew they were so functional! I felt like a murderer witnessing it. I'd do it again, my babies play in that yard.

So. YEAH. Lot's of snake encounters. In hind sight, I should have waited to post this until AFTER Bailey's party so those terrified of snakes wouldn't be scared. C'est Lavie. Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, even if I could attend, I may be a bit hesitant at this point (cause I tote know I would be invited, duh). me + snakes = lots of running and screaming. Unless it's a pet in a cage, that I can totally handle. Just not in my house.

    ReplyDelete