Tuesday, August 9, 2011

If I Only Had Today...

"It seems like I've watched a million sunsets
And stared at a thousand full moons
Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever
And sometimes it feels brand new

I could never count the heartbeats
From the day I was born until now
But not a single one goes unnoticed
By Him who breathes life in me somehow

But if there were no more tomorrows
If I knew that I could not stay
I know how I'd spend every moment
If I only had today

I'd hold you and listen
I'd let the dishes sit in the sink
I'd tell you I loved you  over and over
And for once I'd just let the phone ring
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how out love would never change
If I only had today


I'd wake up before the sun did
And I'd watch as you quietly sleep
I'd pray for time to move slowly
Knowing the moment won't keep

All the gifts that Heaven has given
Every blessing that's come my way
Wouldn't mean anything without you
So if I only had today

I'd hold you and listen
I'd memorize every detail of your face
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
I wouldn't let excuses get in the way

Then I'd remind you of forever
And how out love would never change
If I only had today

There's no time like the present
Life doesn't come with guarantees
The sun will set and time won't wait

So while I have today

I'll hold you and listen
I'll let the dishes sit in the sink
I'll tell you I loved you  over and over
And for once I'll just let the phone ring
Then I'll remind you of forever
And how out love would never change
Because I have today


This is a song by Hilary Weeks that I love. You can go here to listen to it. I am really feeling like this right now. I just thought I'd share it. Life is so fleeting and when we're gone we're gone and I don't want to regret what memories I leave behind for other people. 

My Papa is being moved to hospice today. Sunday, in the hospital he told the nurse he was expecting family and would like a bath. I think it's pretty awesome that he knows he will have family show up. It got me thinking... I don't want to be wondering one day if anyone will bother to come see me. I want to know that I will have people that I have treated kindly, lovingly and built lasting relationships with that will come and visit with me. How sad it must be to be in the winter of your life and be lonely and sit everyday hoping and wondering if you will have a visitor that day.  I don't want to be that person. 


2 comments:

  1. Love you baby. I'll always be here to bother you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The date of this post is 6 years after my youngest brother passed away and I stumbled upon it today accidentally from another post. I've never heard this song before, but it is so poignant and true. Thank you for posting...and I hope your family all had time with your papa before he joined the angels.

    ReplyDelete