Saturday, October 22, 2011

Conformation

So, as I'm seaming together the skirt of Bailey's Glinda The Good Witch dress, for Halloween, I had the following thought process it's long, but my mind is EXCELLENT at wondering and wandering:

"Man, I can't believe I'm sewing this dress together. I never in a million years would have thought that I'd ever be sitting at a sewing machine doing this.... EVER.

I'm pretty proud of myself. I used to get annoyed with those over achievers who were really good at everything. Now I'm starting to be good at lots of things. I've always just been mediocre at things.

I guess the key is to pick a skill and DEVELOP it. You can't just sit and think, man, I wish I could do that and then not act upon. Wishing never gets you anywhere... it's DOING....

Man. I am a stay at home mom.... SEWING. Who'd a thunk it?? I'm that sterotypical, stay at home mom, sewing and being crafty... just like I never wanted to be. But I kind of think I love it... secretly of course. There are probably a ton of working moms out there that think I'm shallow and frivolous and whatever the heck they think.... but if I were an attorney on Capital like I wanted to be... I'd never be around my kids or have developed all of these talents... and there would probably be stay at home moms who thought I was worldly, arrogant and superficial. I probably would have been.

So I guess it's a really good thing that there are so many groups and stereotypes in the world. There is a place for each person. You pick where you want to be and with whom you want to associate. The best part is.... if you decide you don't want to be there anymore, you can change it and become the person you want to be in the place you want to be. So is conforming to a stereotype really all that bad? Not always, I guess. As long as you're happy where you are and do your best to change it if you're not.... "

And on that note... I've tried changing where I am... and it never works out. EVERY time I try looking for a job... something comes up {usually a baby} and it doesn't work out. It's been made abundantly clear that I am where I am supposed to be, at home with my kids. And well, I'm starting to accept it and stop fighting it a little less. And for me, that is progress people. Baby steps.... three of them!  I never would have thought that I'd like staying home, but I'm getting there.  {Please don't tell anyone that I just started a sentence with AND, twice... yikes!}

It's a huge blessing to be where I can just accept Heavenly Father's plan for me and embrace it. I'm pretty sure I'm much happier now than I would have been if my own plan had come to fruition. I'm glad he knows me and my capabilities better than I do!

The end and thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment