Thursday, November 10, 2011

Design on a dime... the real life edition.

I've been working on redecorating the living room for the last few months. We are still poor-ish college kids so funding is low. I'm pretty pleased with how things came out, though. Not gonna lie I'm a pretty frugal person.


I grew up POOR. So, it's super hard for me to waste money... I mean, I manage just fine, when I need/want to, but I really try hard not to. Even if money was a non-issue, I don't see the point in wasting it, just because you can.

I love watching home improvement shows. I'm a do-it-your-selfer. It's fun, and I can make it exactly what I want it to be {within my talent range anyway}. I always do a capital "Pppppsssshhhhhh!!" When they start talking about "We redecorated this whole room for $1200!" ... and they think that it's a small number. If only every american had $1200 to redecorate a room, right. Scratch that. If only I had $1200 to redecorate a room. 

I've done browns and naturals for the past 5 years and I'm done with it. I need COLOR. It's coming together nicely. Though, I didn't think to take before pictures... You'll get to see the after. The only thing that's really missing now is the storage ottoman that I haven't gotten a chance to finish covering. Hopefully, that will happen this weekend. Also, My chairs have been destroyed by the kids, so I want to make some sort of slipcover for them until we can afford a sectional sofa someday in the distant future. 

So far I have these rugs for a total of $47.00 {for both} at my favorite store EVER... Home Goods. 


Wall Art: This was minimal... maybe $25 for ALL of it. The frames are compliments of my nanny and gramma = FREE. Spray paint $6-ish, fabric... I used scraps. I used foam board from The Dollar Tree for the background boards so $2.07.  The two blue frames were  and the bronze one were about $10 for all three together. THAT is what I call frugal! Oh...


 I also got the mirrors beside the TV at Target for $7.48 EACH. So $13 for BOTH!  I KNOW!! I got the pink and green frames on the TV armoire from TJ Maxx for $14 for both.


We are making a storage ottoman, as well. Here is the top of it. This has been on our to do list for a LONG time. It was going to be cheap but I think we've put about $200 into it. Lumber, fabric, foam, scotch guard, spray adhesive. It should be finished this weekend. It proved to be more difficult than I'd expected, and we're just really busy. 


The S-H-A-W letters I already had and they were hideous. I originally painted them brown with yellow, red, orange, blue and green stripes. They didn't come out the way I wanted them too, but they took about 5-6 hours  to do and I didn't feel like redoing them. Until now. All I did was spray paint them and tie scrap fabric in knots. They still don't look right to me, so I'll probably make some adjustments, but for now, it works. So they were free.


Here's how it looks, now; sans storage ottoman, coat rack that's on my list and drapes that I'm too lazy to put up since we are moving to a different rental in 6 months. Also, the yellow and blue frame isn't finished, I just haven't had time to work on it, since Christmas is creeping up fast! 








So our grand total is approximately $300 {spread out over a few months}. Pretty dang awesome, though I am bummed that the ottoman cost so much to do, but at least I got to customize it, and it's still cheaper than what I could have bought one that size for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment