Sunday, December 4, 2011

GF/CF Veggie Lovin' Lasagna

I found this recipe on Pinterest {my new favor-ite thing}. Looks so YUM, doesn't it!

So I got all excited to make it and realized... A. I hadn't looked at the recipe... but I had an idea of what was in it and B: BAILEY CAN'T HAVE CHEESE.

BUZZ KILL.

So I bought her some vegan mozzarella {she got to taste it before I bought it, and liked it... so whatev}... and left out the ricotta cheese on hers.

I'm making a whole pan for each and I'm freezing it so she can have lunches/dinners {same goes for us, so I hope it's good!}

I adjusted the recipe a bit and basically doubled it, since I was making two pans.

Ingredients:
3 large yellow squash and 3 small/med. zuccini {because it's what I had on    hand} 
2 cans of italian style plum tomatoes
A cup or so of mozzarella cheese {'cause I can}
Approx. 2 T. oregano
Some garlic powder to taste {bc I was out of fresh... garlic doesn't belong in air tight containers... it will go bad, learned that the hard way.}
salt & pepper and ground red pepper {not too much red pepper maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp. since I was doing a double batch.}
12 oz-ish Ricotta cheese {I like it A LOT} {said like Jim Carrey}
 I THINK that's it.

So here's how it goes.

Drain the tomatoes half way* and stick them in a food processor or blender and pulse 'em.


* {I would drain them all the way} because there is a LOT of water from the squash when it's done.

Chop up the onions and toss 'em in a skillet with the ground beef, sausage, turkey {whatever you want to use} to saute 'em. Add some salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic {fresh if you've got it, powder if ya don't}.


While that's sauteing, slice up your squash and zuccini.


Once the meat is brown and onions are soft put the tomatoes in and add the oregano and some salt. I added about a 1.5 tablespoon of sugar to neutralize the acidity because it made my throat burn it was so acidic. Let it simmer for a little while until it reduces a little.

 {I forgot to take a picture, sorry}

Then you assemble.

I put a little sauce on the bottom to keep it all from sticking. Then layed the squarsh. {yes, squarsh.} then some mozzarella {or vegan cheese} and some ricotta {but not on Bailey's} then some more squarsh, sauce cheese ricotta, cheese. DONE.





Bake at 375 until it gets browned and bubbly. 


It was yum! 

Bailey liked hers too. Vegan cheese and all. 


See the juice? Squash and zuccini hold a lot of water. You might want to try to draw some of it out by soaking it in a brine {salt water bath} or by pre boiling or sauteing it. If you're going to do that, go ahead and keep some of the tomato juice.

Happy Veggie lovin' lasagna eatin'!





No comments:

Post a Comment