Sunday, December 18, 2011

Shepherd's Pie Awesomeness



It was DE-FREAKING-LICIOUS. No kidding. I had some for dinner AND for dessert.

Bailey LOOOOVVEED it. She begged me to take it to school for her lunch... forgetting that she isn't going to school for three, really long weeks.

 She shoveled it into her mouth, literally, see.

I'm sure your appetite has subsided, but don't worry. I'll post the other picture at the end and it will cure that. 

It's pretty much the same recipe I usually use, except, I decided to make it totally unhealthy and add gravy to the meat. HOOOOLLLLYYY MOLY!

Heaven. Divinity. Those shepherd's sure knew what they were doing when they invented this dish.

WHOA. {Joey Lawrence style... raise your hand if you remember him? Mmm he was yummy too.}

Okay, enough of my blubbering. Here's what you do, it's quick and easy... just a lot going on at once... a second pair of hands... {Jeffrey Shaw} are helpful... he was really helpful.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a healthy dish... I mean it CAN be, but this way... not a chance. 

Also, if you want a truer Shepherd's Pie... leave out the veggies, but we like them...

Ingredients:
I 1/2 lbs. ground beef
PDHS = Paula Dean's House Seasoning {scroll down for recipe}
1 medium onion chopped however you like it
6-7 potatoes, peeled, and cubed
cheddar cheese to tast {and by that I mean I sprinkle, sprinkle, and sprinkle a lot probably about 2 cups... we like cheese}
frozen mixed veggies... about 2 cupsish
1/2 can beef broth
1 1/2 TBSP. corn starch

Directions: 
Put your ground beef in a skillet and add: onion, PDHS and Worcestershire sauce. {That's pronounced wosrt-er-sher, FYI... say it right, practice if you need to.}

Brown it on medium heat... it will release more juice than a higher heat.

While it's browning get your pot of water ready to boil the potatoes... salt it pretty well, add the potatoes... cook em for about 10 minutes.

When your meat is browned all the way....

DO NOT DRAIN THE FAT. I know it's gross, and really tempting.. I usually drain it and then blot the meat with a paper towel... I'm a freak, I know.

I repeat... DO NOT DRAIN THE FAT!


Take a slotted spoon {a big one if you have it} and transfer the meat and onions to the baking dish you're going to use. spread it out evenly over the bottom.

Start steaming your frozen veggies. It only takes a few minutes.

Bust out your can of beef broth and add it to the beef fat. Pour about half of the can into the pan and whisk it a smidgen. Start adding your cornstarch, a 1/2 a tablespoon at a time, whisking well, as you go. Let it simmer while whisking it. The cornstarch won't thicken until the heat cooks it. When it's thickened, pour it over the meet in the baking dish and mix it all together, make them best friends.

Drain your veggies and plop them on top of the meat/gravy mixture and spread it out. {They can be girlfriend and boyfriend.}

Drain the potatoes and dump them in your slowly, painfully, dying Kitchenaid mixer. With the paddle attachment, add milk, butter, & PDHS to taste until smooth and moist. No one likes dry mashed potatoes, let's be honest.

SIDE NOTE: This is not a Casein free recipe... though I thought it was until I started making the mashed potatoes and remembered there was milk and butter and cheese on the top... but I wasn't about to ruin it with rice milk, vegan butter and tofu cheese... sorry, Bailey... My flesh is weak, and so is my stomach.

 Okay, so mashed potatoes are done. Plop 'em on top of the veggies and then sprinkle your cheese like it's the last cheese on earth. Lots, and lot's of cheese.

Put it in the oven at 375 until cheese is melted and you think it's heated through... about 10-15 minutes should do it.

Take it out and devour it. For dinner, and dessert.  'Cause you can. Cause in January you're going to make a resolution to lose weight, even though you won't keep it... but, hey... it's not JANUARY, YO! It's still December.


Eat up! 

Oh, PDHS. I'm sitting in Bed right now, and I'm FAR too lazy to get up and go grab the cookbook, but it's essentially Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder. I want to say 1 C. salt and 1/4 C. Pepper and 1/4 C. Garlic Powder... but I'm really and truly not sure, so I will post it first thing in the morning. When I'm already in the kitchen. Not ready to pass out in bed, even though I took a two hour nap this afternoon.

Good night, my friends.

{It turns out I was right... Those are the correct ratios. I put it in a large shaker {like an onion flakes shaker} and use it in dang near everything. Love the stuff.

4 comments:

  1. I love the gravy idea! And your photos are beautiful. Does this have anything to do with an awesome camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was SO good. Even though I could feel an arterial blockage as I made it. Thanks! It has some to do with the camera and some knowledge of composition and lighting... but just basics... the camera helps, a lot! Worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm making this for christmas eve dinner... definitely appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete