Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pretty Pink Pancakes




One of the few things Trevor WILL eat, and they both LOVE to eat are pancakes. I'm always trying to figure out how I can cram more nutrition in their food. I add flax meal, wheat germ {before we knew of Bailey's allergy}, cinnamon for flava flave, applesauce {all natural}. I own Jessica Seinfelds book, "Deceptively Delicious" and a couple of years ago she inspired me to start putting veggie and fruit purees in their food. While I have tried some of the recipes and they are pretty dang good, {particularly the Quesadillas, we flipping love them} most of the time I just add the purees in whatever I'm fixing, but I'll admit, it's been a while.

Look how pretty and rich that color is.


The other night, I got gutsy and put beet puree {you heard me} in their pancakes. For some reason Bailey's turned out purple {probably bc the gluten free mix makes less batter}, but that's her favorite color anyway. Neither of them tasted a difference. Bailey said they were good... she likes vegan cheese, though, so let's be honest, we can't trust her sense of taste.


Anyway, I added 1/4 cup beet puree. Beets are great for fiber, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Potassium, Folate and Manganese AND they make a GREAT natural food coloring. There you go people. Underwhelming, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment