Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Allergy Friendly Pear Crisp!


I got impulsive last week and bought a 40 pound box of pears from Publix. They were on sale, and I wanted to put some up. They look so pretty in their jars! The best part, is I could control the amount of sugar in the simple syrup! 
Anyway, it got me wanting a  pear crisp. So here you go! 



One word.

YUM.

Now, lots more words.
This was delish! If someone served it to me, I'd never know it was Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan and actually somewhat healthy!

And man, it was easy-peasy, lemon squeazy.

I found the original recipe at a blog called Gluten Free Goddess. I've adapted it for my needs. I only used pears and I wanted to make a bigger pan that serves more than just four people, because that would barely feed me. So I adjusted that and a few other things based on what I had on hand.

Here is my adaptation of it:

{Do you like how it looks like they are sliding off the table? I'm not good at taking straight photos.} 

These are the ingredients {sans the sea salt... I forgot to photo it... and add it to the recipe, woops!}


Ingredients:
For the fruit filling:
2 qt. jars of canned pears {so maybe 3-4 cans of pears or 10 to 15 fresh pears, minimum} 
1/2 c. pear juice juice {If you like it more thin than thick and goopy add a little more juice} 
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 good pinches of nutmeg
Pinch sea salt (I forgot this, probably would have been a nice contrast though)
For the crisp topping:
1.5 cups light brown sugar
1.5 cups gluten-free pancake and baking mix {I used Bob’s Red Mill All purpose flour and baking mix}
2.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Earths Balance Vegan Shortening {I use the Soy Free version} 
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13” casserole dish with vegan shortening.


In a medium to large bowl, toss pear slices in the pear juice, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and a small pinch of sea salt.


In a separate bowl, stir together the brown sugar, gluten-free flour mix, and cinnamon. 


Add the shortening in tablespoons and rub and pinch between your fingers until moist crumbs form a crumbly topping mixture. {This is when it's nice to have huge man hands... it gets the job done faster! } 

Sprinkle a few behemoth sized handfuls of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the greased casserole dish. 


Spoon in the apple and pear slices; add all the liquid.

Top with the remaining crumble mixture. 
Bake at 350ºF for 35-ish minutes or until the fruit is fork tender and the filling is bubbling and thickened. The top should be golden brown. {Note: if you are using canned fruit, it won't need to cook AS long... so just eyeball it until it thickens, bubbles and turns to goldeny goodness. 

...........and VOILA!



Serves 8ish. We ate half the pan between Bailey, Jeffrey and I.... 'cause that's how we role... we are gluttons. Maybe eating enormous portions is why my hands are amazon sized? Hm.

Yay for healthy, allergy friendly desserts! It made me so happy to know that my kids could enjoy a treat! Especially, since I'm way to lazy to make dessert regularly... and way to much of a stickler to let them have that much sugar regularly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment