Monday, May 14, 2012

Sayers and Doers

When you stop and think about the people who really make a difference, you can't help but acknowledge that they are always the Sayers and Doers, in life.

We are often encountered by others with a "how are you doing?" or a "call me if you need anything!" Many times these are just pleasantries, and people don't REALLY want us to unleash how we are really doing, or the fact that while we may put on, a happy, put together, exterior... we are falling to pieces inside or grasping at the last few inches of our ropes.

Honestly, how many times have you exited a conversation with someone who took that invitation and let it all go, in a rant to you, and you didn't think... DAMN, I wasn't asking for all that!

Be honest with yourself... I know I have a few times over the years.

How many times have you let it all go to someone who asked those questions in a desperate attempt to feel heard and  not feel desperate, alone, and manic, and were just grateful that someone cared enough to listen?

I've been on both sides of that fence. Though, anymore, I just tend to hold it all in and combust at random periods in time.... in which someone close to me ends up being the victim of my uncontrollable psychotic hysteria.

The moral of my story... maybe we should all be doers and REALLY MEAN IT, when we ask someone and really be interested in that person and lightening THEIR load.

That said...

About a month ago, I was having a REALLY AWFUL day. The kind in which, you just accept defeat from the start. It was day two of spring break,  I don't remember which one, but one of the kids wasn't feeling well, so I called and cancelled therapies that day. I wasn't about to lug my kids through therapy across town and back all day... not in my state of mind.

I had just put the boys down for their naps {that they otherwise wouldn't get, because we'd be at therapy} and I got a phone call from a woman in my ward. She said that I had really been on her mind and wanted to stop by and make sure I was doing  okay and bring me something.

I rushed to make my house less destroyed, put the baby down and choked back the tears as I was reminded of how mindful our Heavenly Father is of us and how if we are all willing we can truly be angels for other people. Let me emphasize, I had not had a bad day like this, in a really long time... anyhow....

She stopped by and brought us dinner and a movie. We chatted for a while and it was SO NICE. She also happens to have gone through a similar situation with her kids and IEP's {Individual Education Plan} and the overwhelmingness that goes along with it. I didn't have to ask for it, but it was such a thoughtful and on my part needed gesture. It truly touched me. I was fighting back the tears for days afterwards.

In fact, I still choke 'em back when I think of it.

Who doesn't want to be thought of and have something nice done for them, WITHOUT asking for it?

Let me add, that I really don't know this woman that well. We had talked a few times at church, but I hadn't had the chance to get to know her very well. Which makes it all the more impressive and meaningful to me.

I'm not saying that I don't have good friends and family that I know I can call if I need too, because I totally do, and they are phenomenal... and they are my life line. Let me not underplay their parts in my life... at all.

My point is....
Life is hard for all of us. Why not pitch in to lighten the load, you never know why you might be thinking of someone, what that someone might be going through, or how your actions might lighten their load.

I think it's one of the reasons to stay in tune with our Heavenly Father, so that he can use us to help others and so that we can recognize a prompting from the spirit when we have them, and be a doer. In the process, we will each receive blessings and it's a nice distraction from our own issues that bring us down and get us feeling sorry for ourselves.

Anyway. That's my two cents. It's just been on my mind. Go and DO.


P.S. I can't find my camera cord to upload any pictures. I'd like to blame it on my messy house, but seeing as how half of our stuff is packed... their isn't an excuse... maybe the kids got a hold of it. We'll see. Thanks for hangin' in there with me, friends.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!! Love this post and totally agree! I just came across your blog which is why this is 8 months after the fact...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you did and that you left this comment, because I needed to read this again and have the reminder. I will say, that this woman and I are now friends and she has helped me SO SO much with my daughters evaluations and school dealings. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete