Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Silent E's

Driving in the car this afternoon, I hear Bailey starting to sound out the letters in the word PURSE.

I used it as a teaching moment and had her make the sound and coordinating letters in a row. We got to the E at the end... and I tried to explain that it's a silent "e".

Then she asks "Why is it silent, mommy? Does it have tape over it's mouth?"

After I laughed and told her I love her, I decided to just go with it. I couldn't remember the rule as to WHY it's silent {years of student loans wasted there}, and then what she had said, clicked.

So I said "Yes, it's kind of like it has tape on it's mouth. You can see it and it's there, you just can't hear it."

I don't know if it really sank in to her, but I was impressed by her, and impressed by myself, usually I would launch into one of two options.

Option 1: Try to explain it in terms that are far too complicated for her to understand and end up not making any sense in the end.

Option 2: Simply say "I don't know why, it just is." Then later on, I would think of the perfect reply... a day late.

Sometimes I have these moments of clarity. It just, man, the simplicity of how she thinks, just worked out. I tend to overcomplicate EVERYTHING.

She's so smart. I love that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment