Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I am A Child of God.



"I am a child of God.
And He has sent me here.
Has given me, an earthly home,
with parents kind and dear."
{I always laugh inside when I'm singing that line... because most of the time, my poor kids don't see the kind part of me lately.}

Chorus:
"Lead me, guide me.
Walk beside me.
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must know,
to live with him some day."

The verses to the next two are:

"I am a Child of God,
And so my needs are great.
Help me to understand his words,
before it grows too late."

Chorus

"I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store.
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more."


{Note: I completely forgot there used to be more verses, until I found this video.}

This is a primary song that I sing to my kids, A LOT... like multiple times a day, especially the babies. I didn't realize how much, until the other day, when I was rocking Trevor {it's his FAVORITE}. He sang almost every word of all three versus with me. I about peed my pants... and not because there is a baby on my bladder.

 It's one I've heard literally since I was born. It really grounds me. It is a beautiful song. It reminds me that not only are my kids small, they are tender and of the utmost importance to my Heavenly Father. They are still learning, and it's MY job to teach them. Not to belittle them or yell at them or lose my temper {which happens far, far, too often}.

Not only does it ground me and remind me that THEY are little and still learning and not purposely out to make my life difficult and miserable; it reminds me that to my Heavenly Father, I am still immature, still learning {most definitely, because lately, things have been ROUGH over here...}, and still in need of His help, teaching, patience and most definitely, His mercy.

This song, reminds me of who I am. I know I've said this before, but it's relevant, so I'll share again. My Papa used to tell me EVERY single time I would leave his house, "Remember who you are." I would always reply back with a "Kylee Suzanne Newton" and a smirk. I'm 99% sure, he thought I was being sarcastic... but I wasn't. It wasn't until I was an adult that it clicked and I REALLY realized exactly what he meant. No, I'm not kidding... I can be that dense, sometimes. I miss that man SO much.

We are ALL children of a loving Heavenly Father. One who wants more than anything for us to be happy, and return to him. I had never thought of this song in this way before, but as I am lying in my bed trying to fall back asleep at 2:30 a.m., I was thinking about a comment, my friend Holly left me on my Who is She, post... and my wheels got to spinning and somehow ended up here.

This song answers the questions that everyone wants to know.
1. Who am I?
2. Where did I come from?
3. Where am I going?

1. I am a child of God.
2. God lives in Heaven and I'm his child, he has sent me from there to here on earth.
3. He wants me to live so that I can return to him someday.

So, SO, simple {not easy... SIMPLE}... I tend to over complicate EVERYTHING. That's probably why it's taken me 28 years to think of it in such an obvious matter.

I guess, I figure, that of all the things I want them to remember, it's the message of this song. Even if someday they fall away from the Church, I want them to know that they are more valuable than they will ever possibly realize. They are not alone. They have a purpose. They are loved. They are literally of divine nature. They are literally a child of GOD, this makes them more royal than any king or queen on earth.

And there it is folks, the point of the post... bet you never thought I'd get there. Whatever, man... it's 3:30 a.m. I'm gonna be in trouble tomorrow... but I wanted to get my thoughts out before I {and so I could} fall back asleep and forgot them.

So, try a little harder to be a little better. Remember, He sent His son to atone for us, so He would know our sorrows and joys. So that we can repent and start fresh every day {or for some of us... every half hour}.

Remember who you are.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the Spirit while reading that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I was listed as "Unknown" above. These are both from Amanda Orrock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the "unknown"! I felt it, too. The spirit moved you (out of bed) to post that for me. Gotta keep our eyes on the prize. :)

    ReplyDelete