Monday, July 23, 2012

Pill Poppin' Momma

Man, it's getting close. Though, not close enough, and WAY to close, all at the same time. 38 weeks.

Have I mentioned that I'm pretty much terrified of having four small kids? I mean, that was the plan, eventually, but when 3 of them are under 3 years old... that's A LOT.

You'd think by now, I'd have a routine down and remember what all I'm supposed to be doing, but I just don't.

I forget how much of what to take and when to take it...

For example, starting from the second trimester on I take Red Raspberry Leaf Tea caplets {even though  I have a good 1/2 a pound of tea leaves... I just HATE the taste of tea, and I can't do it anymore}.

RRLT is used to strengthen the uterine muscles. I started taking it when I was pregnant with Trevor, because I was worried about another post partum hemorrhage, like I had with Bailey. A couple of friends told me about it, so I did some research and decided it was worth a try. Basically, it makes your uterus contract a lot more, thereby strengthening the muscles and toning the uterus... which then makes your real contractions much more efficient. It's also great after you have the baby for getting your belly and uterus back to normal. I swear by the stuff... obviously, or I wouldn't have just preached for an hour about it.

Once I hit 36ish weeks, I start taking a labor supplement called 5W, by Natures Sunshine. I SWEAR this helped. I took it with Callen, because by child #3 I had figured out that my body is not one that prepares on it's own. The labor contractions with him were SO MUCH MORE BEARABLE, than with the other two, and my labor was half the length it was with Trevor, and I'm pretty confident that this stuff is why. It's the only thing I did differently while pregnant with Trev and Cal.

Well, I lied. I forgot about Evening Primrose Oil. This is used to help soften and ripen the cervix {NOT by dilating it}. By having your cervix already ripe and ready to go, it can also help shorten your labor, because it's easier to dilate and doesn't have to do the extra work to soften and everything. You can take it orally or vaginally, I do both... because I need all the help I can get.

It's a lot to keep track of, and pretty much a pain... but it's worth it to me, and I wouldn't do it if I weren't confident that they help. Of course, no doctor is going to okay these things because it's not FDA approved... but my midwives recommend them, and I say... why not try something from nature. Didn't Heavenly Father give us everything we would need in nature, from one source or another. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Let's hope this one comes a little earlier. I've already had one Acupuncture treatment... and another on Saturday. Here's hoping for a less than 42 week baby!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sending all sorts of good vibes!!! And not the kind I used to sell!! :)

    ReplyDelete