Monday, August 6, 2012

Mercy.

I didn't think the drive thru of Chick-fil-a would be so bad on their "appreciation day". I left the house about 15-20 minutes early for the kids therapies. Trevor is currently working on chicken {in the NON chicken nugget form}. Since I was a slacker and didn't get the chance to cook a chicken breast, I figured, I would swing by Chick-fil-a and grab a 4 pc. grilled nugget... I needed grilled chicken, dang it! On THE MOST inconvenient day of the year... the drive through was a good 1-2 hour wait.

THAT did not happen. Which stunk... because none of us had eaten lunch and they were so excited to go, and we were going to be late for therapy, and he had no food to eat... which negates therapy. So McDonalds it was for a grilled chicken breast {1/2 of one actually, but it was only $1.30...}. 

So I promised the kids we'd go to Chick-fil-a the next day. This means, I'm going to be miserable essentially. 

The way it normally goes:

We walk in- they run through the restaurant straight to the play area {the whole reason they love the place}. Callen squirms because he wants to go to. I have to chase them down so I can keep track of them and they don't get abducted. Then we have to wait in line... and they are playing and laughing and screaming and yelling when they get mad. Bailey is talking to every and any stranger who will listen... Trevor is running through the restaurant because he thinks he's funny. We order, they complain because they didn't get chocolate milk {allergies}. We sit down... Trevor throws a mother lovin' fit {hatin' really, let's be honest} because he wanted nuggets {not grilled ones, fried ones}. Bailey fills up on fries and lemonade and eats little to no chicken. They take so long to eat that they don't get to play for but a few minutes because I'm about to lose my flippin' mind and the whole place is going to get to see.... so we hurry and leave while I chase them down again and/or drag them out. I lose my mind in the car... but at least the whole restaurant doesn't see it. 


The way it went today:

We walk in. They stand next to me taking it in. Bailey politely asks if they can go play, so I say yes {it wasn't too crowded}. Callen sits on my hip patiently while we wait. I order, go sit down. The food comes, I set it up, go  get them from the play area, they sit down and down some lemonaide. Bailey starts eating her nuggets {they aren't getting fries until they eat them} and so does Trev {and Callen}. I broke Trev's in half, put it on the fork, dipped it in honey and put it in his mouth... he didn't fight me. He just knew he would get to go play some more if he ate them. {This is an ENORMOUS victory, I can't begin to tell you...} Callen is sitting semi-quietly, except for an occasional sqwuak for more food, not trying to climb out of the high chair... as per usual. Bailey doesn't want to finish her nuggets, but does when I ask her. When she is finished she nicely asks to go play. Trevor finishes his last bite of nugget and eats a few fries and goes to play. I finish feeding Callen and then order for myself. Eat my food, go get them a little while later... they don't fight, scream or complain. They come and get their shoes on. Trev pulls his pants down and announces that he's pooping... awesome {time to potty train that boy!} so we go to the car, get in, change his diaper, buckle and head home. 
-----------

THAT... is pure mercy from above. That NEVER happens. It's because I'm 11 months pregnant... and still have a good 2 weeks left, despite my due date {Aug. 8}. Heavenly Father decided he'd give me a decent outing. 

So I came home and made some potty charts for Trev and Bailey {she forgets to wipe, flush and wash her hands... a lot... not always all three, but at least 1-2 each time}. I just couldn't find any that were exactly what I needed. There is something to be said for customization. 

Days like this I feel like I've conquered motherhood. {Though, days like this only happen once every month or so... if I'm lucky.}



2 comments:

  1. You ROCK. And you do deserve those kinds of outings. More often :) Heavenly Father gave you that because you're willing and actively bringing ANOTHER one of His spirits into the world despite losing your mind with those 3 already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally a tender mercy. loved this!

    ReplyDelete