Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Monterey Chicken



Raise your hand if you've ever had the Monterey Chicken from Chili's?

{If you're hand is not raised, raise it now and slap yourself... you deserve it.}

It is DELISH. I don't do a lot of cooking these days, mostly because I lack creativity and don't get around to thinking about it until it's beyond time. So, last week I had some chicken breasts thawed out that needed to be used and I don't know why, but it hit me... HULLO..... why not make this... it's such an easy dish.

I'd love to provide you with a recipe, but I kind of just threw crap together... Here's the best I can do:

I cooked bacon until it was crispy crispy {the best way to eat it anyway...}

Sprinkled Paula Dean's House seasoning salt on the breasts.. the chickens, not mine. {my go to seasoning salt... i make it in bulk... it's somewhere on this blog...}

Brushed on some barbecue sauce... for this dish I like a sweet one... I think I used Kraft Hickory Sweet {or something, I'd go look in the fridge... but I'm lazy and carrying extra baggage, and it's just not going happen.}

Then I added some colby/monterey jack shredded cheese.

Tossed on some chopped tomatoes, chives, 

and topped with bacon, I prefer the bacon to been chopped up, but once again.. I was lazy and dinner was already late, so I left it in bigger pieces.

Put it in the oven at 350 or 375 for about 20 minutes or so, until the chicken is done.

Take it out and let it sit for a few minutes {this allows the juices to steep and keeps the chicken moist and tender inside... instead of dried and tough... and who wants dried, tough breasts?}

While that's cooking... make your rice.

I just experimented with this... it wasn't bad, but could have used more flavor-flave.

I used Instant brown rice, added some salsa, black beans, salt and pepper... and let it cook.

Plopped it on the plate, put a chicken breast on top of it and VOILA!

Yummy dinner that was pretty quick and easy.




2 comments:

  1. I totally would have put the salt on my own breasts!...

    AND- I'm making this tomorrow! Thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete