Saturday, September 1, 2012

The New Girl {and her birth story}

 I'm going to apologize now for the lack of editing and many typos. I'm far too lazy right now to bother with re-reading this. Yes, I know they are there. No, I'm not illiterate. I'm just lazy and would rather snuggle my babies.

41 weeks and 3 days {10 days past due}

This little lady {and I do mean little, she is SO tiny!} already likes to make me nuts {as if I don't do that on my own}.

Adeline Elizabeth Shaw, graced us with her presence on August 18, 2012 at 11:12 p.m. via water-birth at Fruitful Vine Birthing Center. She weighed in at a whopping 7lbs. 4oz and 21 inches long {the runt}. She was a full pound less than my smallest baby {Bailey}. Hope Terrell and Shea Cintron were the midwives in for the long haul that weekend. They were awesome. The entire staff at Fruitful vine is pretty much awesome.

Stop reading here if you don't want to hear about the birth. 

Here is the birth story. It shouldn't get TOO yuck... it was fast and furious. Also, I realize you might not care about some of the gory details, but I want to remember what went down so that I can pass it along when she gets old enough to ask. Also, so that when I get baby hungry in a few years, I remember that I don't want to do it again! Here goes... 

Saturday morning {~1:20 a.m.} I was laying on my side and felt a pop. I thought "mmm... was that my water?" I didn't feel any water leakage, so I flipped to my back to get more comfortable and then the water started flowing. Jeffrey was up using the bathroom and threw me a towel so I went and got on the toilet to let it all out. Then decided that I'd just sit in the shower to avoid wearing a maxi pad... those things are awful.

I noticed that it was green and I was pretty sure it was probably meconium  and I started freaking out, thinking I might have to go to the hospital. I called Hope {midwife on call} and sent her a picture. Luckily it was only mild to moderate meconium and she said we were fine, to track contractions and call her around 7am to let her know my progress.

I texted her about 8 am because I had regular contractions until about 3am and then I passed out and hadn't had many since then. The baby had also stopped moving around despite the apple juice, brisk walk and breakfast I'd had. Hope was only about 15 minutes away and stopped by to check things out {God, bless her.}. Everything was fine, I was about 4cm and baby was really low and I was more effaced than the day before. Baby was Sunny Side Up, though, and she needed to turn.

So I took castor oil at her recommendation to get a regular contraction pattern going. I Sat on the toilet a while off and on, sewed a little skirt that coordinated with a onesie, and hemmed a receiving blanket.  Then I took a nap. Then things started to pick up about 3pm. The bishop came over {he lives a few houses down} and helped Jeffrey give me a blessing and we left the house shortly there after to go to the birthing center.

We got there and Hope checked me again and I was about 4.5cm and was very effaced, baby was at +1 or +2 station {I think... I'm already getting details confused}. So, Jeffrey and I got settled and then got bored... and chatted with Hope and Shea a while. Then I'd noticed that my contractions had slowed down. I started walking and jogging {yes, jogging} the halls and they'd come back. I'd sit down to rest... nothin'. They'd stop.

I'd like to add that at this point the irritation on my hiney was downright painful, just from the castor oil alone, let alone the pressure and rubbage from jogging/walking... it was AWFUL. At this point, I'm getting tired and over the pain. Any time I sat down or stopped moving, the contractions stopped. We started alternating Blue and Black Cohosh Tinctures every 15 minutes {they taste like really bad liqour... but altogether bearable. The Castor Oil however, is of the devil. I'm gagging just thinking of it} and that helped keep them coming... until they'd stop again.

Hope checked me again around 9:00 or 9:30p.m. I was at about 5cm but otherwise completely ready. We had a sit down to determine where we wanted to go from there.

I was torn. I was really scared for my ass. Literally, and how awful it would be after delivery... and part of me wanted the epidural just for my rear's sake and to get it over with. I was also physically and emotionally drained at this point. My freaking butt hurt SO, SO, bad. Part of me was terrified to end up in a hospital with whatever doctor might be on call and didn't have the slightest idea who I was, or what I wanted out of my birthing experience. I surely didn't want to stay in the hospital for an extra two days and wrack up those bills just to get neglected treatment.

Jeffrey was getting worried and suggested we give it until 11-11:30pm and if nothing had happened we would go to the hospital. He also suggested that I stop walking the halls and relax in the tub for a little while... which sounded heavenly at this point, but I didn't want to be the slacker who wasn't pulling her weight to get that kid out.

I got in the tub and Shea {midwifery student} started the tinctures again and we listened to some Enya and tried to relax.

Around 10:00 p.m. I started having contractions... fairly good ones. Around 10:45 p.m. I started feeling some pressure so hope checked me and I was at 6cm and she could easily feel the baby's head. I asked her how much longer she thought it'd be. She said probably within the hour because of the strength of the contractions I was having.

I went to the bathroom, and really felt pressure and almost like I needed to push. I made Jeffrey get them and asked them if that's even possible to go from 6-10cm in an hour... and they said they've seen it in minutes. So I thought, "Oh shit, I should get back in the tub SOON."

I got in the tub. Started feeling some serious contractions and loooootttttssss of pressure. Oh MY GOSSSHHHHH!! I had to start pushing. I pushed for about 1 minute... oh geez, ring of fire! A few pushes and out came baby... little Adeline... and I mean LITTLE. She was so tiny. She still is. She has some SERIOUSLY scrawny chicken legs.

She did eventually turn, thankfully {during about a 15 minute long contraction}. The transitional period was QUICK but I was able to manage {and cuss a whole lot less, but screamed louder, apparently}  because there were very short breaks in between contractions and pushes. I used them to ground myself and breath and calm myself. So in that respect it was easier and less intense than Callen's. Callen was easier to push out for some reason. Probably because my body pretty much convulsed him out on it's own. With Addie, I was making a conscious controlled effort to push her out and was aware of everything I was feeling. But it still seemed like more work and harder to get her out, even though she was almost 2 pounds smaller.

Recovery would have been amazing if my butt hadn't gotten tore up.  Talk about PAIN. Forget any pain in the ladyland {which I didn't have}. It was the literal pain in my ass. THAT, was dang near unbearable. In fact, it was at least a week before I felt ANY relief. I was so worried about my bum, that without any shame I called my best friends dad {who is a proctologist} to ask him what I should do. But I know you don't want to hear about that nastiness, and I don't want to relive it. EVER. Desperate times.... desperate measures.

When I start getting baby hungry in a few years... Jeffrey's job is to remind me how awful the pain and castor oil was. Did you get that Mr. Shaw? Ugh. The Castor Oil. Have you ever tasted it? IT'S REVOLTING. Seriously, I took one sip, right as Jeffrey walked in the kitchen and I started to gag over the sink... he looked at me like I was crazy. He almost got punched. The worst part, is once you get it down... you burp it up AAALLLLLLL day long... so then you have to try to hold it down every single time.

Awful. Pure evil.

Anyhow, for all of you who like the gory details... there you are, I did leave a lot of it out {the gory stuff}... but you get the gist.

Sweet Adeline... I'd do it all again for you... you are so sweet and sleepy. Best baby so far. Keep up the good work, lovey.

Post Note: YES. Yes, I did go through and edit out a lot of the grammatical mistakes. I couldn't stand it. There are still plenty, though. 


  1. With the kynzi I went from 6 to 10 in about 10 minutes, And had to force the nurse to check me because she was like "I just checked you" But sure enough, She was right there. And with Brent it was even faster, It was maybe two or three minutes. And everyone was RUSHING to even get in the room. They didn't change the bed or anything. And yes, CO is the DEVIL. Congrats! She is absolutely beautiful.

  2. Love it! Congrats Girly. I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't realize you were a Natural Birthing Mama. Was this your first natural? Or did you do it with all of them?
    Next time? Just skip out on the castor oil. Sounds terrible! Your poor bummy!

    Congrats! I hope you are coping well with all the new changes in your life. Children, nutrition...sheesh. Those are big things! Well done. :)