Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sneaky Leeky Potato Soup! {GF/CF/SF}

 

Guys- this stuff is YUM.

Let me just be honest for a minute... once everything was in and it was cooking... it didn't smell like it was going to be very good. In fact, I texted Mr. Shaw on his way home and warned him that it probably was a botched dinner. True Story. Remember... I'm not very good at experimenting with food. I also don't like to taste as I go along... I go by smell. I also am scared of dairy free products... no lie. OH, the irony.

However, it tastes exactly how I wanted it to! Warm, rounded, rich flavor... but it's way healthier than you're average potato soup. Also, its, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free!!! Meaning, my entire family could eat this {if only they would}. Bailey and Callen tasted it and liked it.

Don't get freaked out by the ingredients... I promise, it's good. I have pretty high standards, and I'm super picky, though, everyone has their own taste buds... I guess. 

Ok. Here you go.


Ingredients:

1 qt. SWANSON'S Veggie broth 
1 qt. SWANSON'S Chicken broth
1 qt. Blue Diamond unsweetened, original almond milk
a bunch of po-tay-toes, peeled and dice {prob 10-12) I used russet, it's what I had
2 leeks sliced thinly and rinsed {green part and all} 
2 C. cauliflower chopped fairly small {I didn't actually measure it.. but it's approximate} 
3 cloves whole garlic, peeled
a dash or two of thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-3/4 C. Earth's best vegan spread {i use the soy free one}
     I'm going to refer to this as butter- but it is not.... it's just shorter to type.


Directions: 

{DON'T skimp on the Swanson's... it really makes a difference!}

Melt the butter in the bottom of a stock pot. Add the sliced leeks, some salt and pepper, thyme and the garlic. Let them cook down on a  medium or med/high heat {between 7-10 minutes or so... I don't keep track}.

Add the chicken and veggie stocks, potatoes, cauliflower and let boil until it starts turning mushy... adding some salt, pepper and thyme to taste as you go. Probably about 30 minutes. 

Stick that junk in the blender and pulse a few times... {I had to do two batches} and then put it back in the pot. OR- If you have an immersion blender... thats the easier way to go! It will have a similar consistency to mashed potatoes. 

Put it back in the pot and add the almond milk until it's the consistency you want. Let it heat through {it will probably be hot enough you won't have to worry about that}

BAM! You're done. 

You can thank me later. 

OH. This makes, A LOT. I made a lot so I could freeze some in a ziploc for a quick lunch or dinner another time.

I just busted some leftovers out the other day and had them for lunch. And it was awesome all over again! 



No comments:

Post a Comment